Luxurious Layovers at Airports with All the Amenities
By: Noel Peterson
A private luxury lifestyle club’s role includes assuring that luxury standards are met in all aspects of the members’ travels. This encompasses private jet services and selection, luxury accommodations and world-class restaurant options. Traveling to distant destinations may unavoidably require a long layover at an airport – however this can provide a pleasurable part of the journey, especially if waiting at one of the following “gold, silver and bronze medal winners” of extravagantly-appointed airports.
The world’s best airport award for three consecutive years has been the Singapore Changi Airport which features a gorgeous butterfly and botanical garden, nature trail, swimming pool, movie theater, craft-making stations for children and more, including motion-detecting flowers that will bloom when approached. This airport takes home the gold.
For the silver, Seoul’s Incheon International Airport has many luxurious features including the largest duty-free shopping center on earth, spa services, an ice rink and daily orchestra and band performances that complement each season, as well as a golf course, casino, movie theater and a museum with beautiful scenic gardens.
Munich Airport takes the bronze in making any layover completely worth the wait. This airport includes a phenomenal beer garden and brewery, sleep cabins, an indoor surfer’s wave pool, indoor beach volleyball, showers, spa services and seasonal events such as a lovely Christmas market and an ice-skating rink during winter months, children’s miniature golf, playgrounds and jungle gyms.
In addition, close runners-up in the luxury airport world include:
- Tokyo International Airport (Haneda) famous for its cleanliness and close proximity to the city, shopping center, showers, and unique Japanese themes.
- Hong Kong International Airport includes an Aviation Discovery Center, simulated golf course, and an IMAX theater.
- Zurich Airport offers bicycling, inline skating, nap rooms, showers, lounges and playrooms for children.
- London Heathrow Airport features Michelin-starred restaurants and world-class shopping.
- Copenhagen International Airport provides upscale shopping and dining, a swim center and showers, museums, and beautiful gardens.
- Dubai International Airport includes designer boutiques, indoor Zen gardens, luxury lounges, sleeping cubes, and only-in-Dubai vendors selling gold bars.
- Abu Dhabi International Airport offers over-the-top VIP lounges, upscale dining and extravagant upmarket shopping.